Homemade ice cream…hmm sounds good but too hard to make. Do you need extra equipment? Nope! Homemade ice cream can be made with just 2 ingredients! The best part is you can add any flavors to make your favorite ice cream! The secret ingredients are milk and bananas! Yes, I know, you can make ice cream with just bananas but I find the ice cream is creamer when milk is added to it. All you need for equipment is a blender or food processor.
Today I made chocolate ice cream with chocolate chips! I used a bunch of ripe bananas, sliced them and then froze them. That is key. You need to freeze the bananas in order to get ice cream consistency. You can do this any time and use the bananas later on. They are great for smoothies as well! Anyway, if you plan on making ice cream the same day freeze the bananas for a few hours before using.
Put the frozen bananas in a blender or food processor and add milk. Depending on how many bananas you have. I actually do not measure but eyeball it. Usually a 1/4 cup or less if you do not have many bananas. You don’t want to “water” it down. Blend and then add flavors if you’d like. I used cocoa powder to get a chocolate flavor.
Once blended you will see a creamy shake consistency. At this point you could honestly have this as a chocolate shake! If you really wanted to! If you want ice cream lets head to the next step. I then mixed chocolate chips and then froze the mix for a few hours. Scoop and enjoy!!
It is fun to experiment with different toppings and flavors, of course. My family and I are ice cream people for sure. There is always ice cream in my home. We try to eat the healthy versions since we eat ice cream weekly, year round. Making homemade ice cream is even better when you know exactly what the ingredients are and no added sugar!
Homemade Ice CreamCourse: DessertCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
2 ingredients for a healthy, yummy ice cream!
6-7 very ripe bananas, sliced
1/4 cup of milk (your preference; low fat, whole, etc)
2 tbs of cocoa powder (optional)
1 cup of chocolate chips (optional)
- Freeze your sliced bananas for about 2 hours. You can always freeze sliced and ripe bananas in our freezer and save for the day you will make the ice cream.
- Put the frozen bananas in a blender or food processor and add milk.
- If you don’t want to add a different flavor, you can skip the next step and freeze the ice cream.
- Add 2 tbs of cocoa powder and blend. Then add the chocolate chips and mix by hand.
- Freeze the ice cream for about 2 hours and serve.
- Your ice cream will freeze faster if frozen in smaller batches. The same goes for freezing bananas.
- Make sure your bananas are sliced when making this recipe. your ice cream will blend smoother and quicker.
- Try adding strawberries for a strawberry banana ice cream.
- The flavors are endless!