Roasted Baby Potatoes
Blog #110: Fun fact. Did you know if there was one food you could live on for the rest of your life it would be potatoes? Potatoes essentially have all the amino acids and proteins our bodies need. However, we would have deficiencies with other vitamins. Most of us love potatoes and I’d say french fries is the most popular! My favorite potato to make at home is the baby potatoes. Why? Roasted baby potatoes are so easy to make and don’t take forever to bake! Roasted potatoes under broil, that is!
How to Broil Baby Potatoes
Baby potatoes usually come in small bags; about 1 – 1.5 lbs. This is usually an okay portion for my family as the boys don’t eat as much of it. If your family loves potatoes then double this recipe. Anyway, these potatoes are EXTREMELY easy to make. I mean all I do is season them and pop them in the oven for about 12-15 minutes, tossing them halfway. The trick is to BROIL the potatoes instead of baking them. Broiling is my friend. Food cooks faster and also gives it a nice toasty color to all my vegetables.
Start off by rinsing the baby potatoes and dry them well. Baby potatoes are not nearly as”dusty” as russet potatoes so no need to scrub each potato. Just a good rinse. Turn the oven on HI broil. Next take a sheet pan and cover with a piece of foil. Drizzle olive oil on the pan. Mix the seasonings together and sprinkle on potatoes. Give them a nice toss to evenly coat with seasoning and oil. Spread evenly on sheet pan and stick in the oven. Half way through toss to evenly cook.
Remove from oven and smash each potato with a fork. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and serve over a handful of arugula. Lastly, drizzle some olive oil and a splash of lime or lemon! Serve with grilled chicken or steak.
- Baby potatoes
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Dried thyme
- Dried rosemary
- Parmesan cheese
- Dried cilantro
- Olive Oil
Roasted Baby PotatoesCourse: SidesCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
Serve this side dish with your favorite meat!
1 lb of baby potatoes
1/4 tsp of dried thyme
1/4 tsp of dried rosemary
1/4 tsp of dried cilantro or parsley
1/4 tsp of garlic powder
1/4 tsp of onion powder
2 tbsp of olive oil, plus more for serving
1/4 cup of parmesan cheese, shredded
1 lime or lemon, cut into 4 wedges
4 handfuls of arugula
- Turn oven on HI broil. Take a sheet pan and cover with a piece of foil. Drizzle about 2 tablespoons of olive oil on the pan. Rinse and dry the potatoes.
- In a small bowl mix the thyme, rosemary, dried cilantro, garlic and onion powder. Add a pinch of salt and some pepper. Toss the seasoning mix with the potatoes on the sheet pan. Toss until the seasoning and oil is ovenly coated with the potatoes.
- Spread out the potatoes on the sheet pan stick in the oven for about 12 -15 minutes, tossing halfway. You want to make sure the potatoes cook evenly.
- Remove from oven and smash each potato with a fork. Add a handful of arugula on 4 plates. Add some potatoes, sprinkle with parmesan cheese, a drizzle of olive oil and a splash of lime!
- You can substitute dried cilantro for dried parsley
- No lime, use lemon
- No baby potatoes, use fingerling potatoes
What is your favorite way to have potatoes?