The holidays are filled with sweets. There is always an excuse to eat something unhealthy because it’s the holiday season. As I write this I feel so full of eating unhealthy today. Now I have a slight headache! Tomorrow I will go back to healthy eating. With that being said, I want to share a healthy holiday snack I have been making, Bruschetta on a rice cake. It’s really not ONLY a holiday snack but I am calling it that because it has all the Christmas colors. So why not call it a holiday snack? I love bruschetta. It’s very fresh, light and serving it on a rice cake is even lighter than on bread. At less than 50 calories per rice cake, it can be topped with anything from peanut butter and bananas to guacamole without worrying about the extra calories.
Rice Cake Flavors and Toppings
There are many rice cake flavors. I usually purchase the Quaker oats brand or Lundberg brand but whatever brand you get, you can top of your rice cakes with just about anything.
- Salt, Everything, Brown Rice or White Cheddar go well with salty toppings, such as bruschetta
- Cinnamon or Apple Cinnamon go well with peanut butter or any nut, sliced bananas, raisins and coconut shavings.
- Yogurt and berries is another great way to have it
- For a sweeter snack, Nutella with strawberries and bananas
ONLY 4 Ingredients
All you need is 4 ingredients to make this bruschetta! You will need parmesan cheese, tomato, cilantro and Italian dressing. I make bruschetta a variety of different ways. It all depends on what I have on hand.
Cheese -If I don’t have parmesan cheese (which is rare) I use shredded mozzarella cheese. When serving on bread, sliced mozzarella is even a nicer texture to use. I recommend shredded mozzarella instead of a fresh mozzarella ball slice on a rice cake. Since fresh mozzarella is very wet.
Cilantro -You either love or hate cilantro. If you dislike cilantro, use basil or parsley.
Tomatoes – Tomatoes are easy to substitute. Use whatever you have on hand. Cherry tomatoes work great as well.
Dressing – An easy dressing is to use Italian dressing. If I want a bit more of an elevated taste I use balsamic vinegar and olive oil. I love using the balsamic dressing on my Fresh Oregano Caprese Salad.
Bruschetta On A Rice Cake (A Healthy Holiday Snack)Course: SnackCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
3 Rice Cakes (salt, everything, white cheddar or brown rice cake)
1/4 cup of parmesan cheese, shredded
1/2 a tomato, diced
1/2 cup of cilantro, roughly chopped and loosely packed
2 tbsp of Italian Dressing
- In a bowl, mix the parmesan cheese, tomatoes, cilantro and add the Italian dressing
- Mix and enjoy!
- You can use Mozzarella instead of Parmesan for a more mild taste
- Dislike Cilantro? Use parsley or basil
Last Minute Recipe Ideas for the Holidays
- Buttery Garlic Shrimp Pasta (Perfect for the Holidays)
- Pomegranate Winter Salad (Perfect for the Holidays)
- Fresh Oregano Caprese Salad
- Chocolate Peppermint Bark (Every Christmas)
- Christmas Pico de Gallo (3 Ingredients)
What are some holiday snacks you enjoy having once a year?