I like making burrito bowls. All different kinds. The ELOTE seasoning from Trader Joe’s is delicious. You can use it on so many things. I first tried it with popcorn. A nice sprinkle and then I went crazy with it. Now my kids and I always “sprinkle” a little too much on our popcorn every time!
I decided to make a burrito bowl with farro. Farro is is a type wheat that is often used in soups and salads. I love farro. I use it to replace rice in some dishes, as it is healthier.
ELOTE seasoning consists of salt, chili peppers, cheese, chipotle and cumin. You can purchase Everything but ELOTE seasoning from Trader Joe’s, Walmart and even Ebay!
There are so many ways to make a burrito bowl. I tend to always add too much cheese to my burrito bowls but there always healthier ways to make them. My usual go to, consists of white rice, guacamole, chicken, cheese, pico de gallo or salsa, corn and sour cream. Lastly, I always top it off with cilantro and lime or lemon! Whichever ever I have on hand.
This seasoning is all you need to make a farro burrito bowl. I used it to season the beef, the vegetables and the farro! The best part of making burrito bowls is that you can use whatever leftovers you have to create your own concoction. Feel free to make it with chicken or cod, omit the cheese, add beans or even use rice or quinoa.
This is why I love to cook! You can make whatever you want. Whether you want more or less of each seasoning.
Here is my ELOTE recipe!
Everything But the ELOTE Recipe IdeaCourse: Lunch/DinnerCuisine: MexicanDifficulty: Easy
Beef Farro Burrito Bowl with ELOTE seasoning from Trader Joe’s!
1 1/2 lbs of sirloin steak, cut into cubes
1/4 cup of water
1/2 cup of farro
1 orange pepper, diced
1/2 onion, diced
1 Tbsp of jalapeño, diced (optional)
4 corn on the cob, corn stripped
Everything but the ELOTE seasoning
1/2 cup of cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 cup of cilantro, chopped
4 Tbsp of sour cream, optional
4 Lemon or Lime wedges, optional
4 Tbsp of olive oil
- Cook farro, per box instructions. Once cooked, drain water, season with ELOTE to your liking and set aside.
- Next, boil the corn in a separate pot and add a pinch of salt; Boil for about 14 minutes. Remove from water and sprinkle with ELOTE. Once cool remove corn from the cob. Set aside.
- In a bowl, generously season the sirloin with ELOTE and mix well; set aside;
- Once your frying pan is hot add 1 tbsp of oil Add the peppers, onions and jalapeño. Add some ELOTE seasoning to cover the peppers, onions and jalapeños and saute until onion is translucent. About 3 minutes. Mix vegetables with farro and add some more ELOTE if desired. Drizzle some olive oil and squeeze some lemon juice on the farro. Mix and set aside.
- Add the remaining 2 tbsp of oil and add the sirloin. Cook on MED HI for about 5-6 minutes until brown. Lower the heat to MED, add water and cook covered for about 12 minutes. Uncover and change the heat to MED HI. Cook stirring occasionally until liquid evaporates. About 5 minutes; set aside.
- Time to assemble! Scoop farro mixture into 4 bowls, add some sirloin, corn and cheese. Top off with a nice squeeze lemon, cilantro and a spoonful of sour cream, if desired!
I hope you enjoy this ELOTE Farro burrito bowl! Feel free to share your ELOTE recipes. I would love to try them!