My last post was a Blackened Chicken Salad with Feta Cheese recipe. Today’s recipe, is a Blackened Shrimp Salad with Red Kidney Beans. Same seasoning but a completely different salad. It is a perfect salad for meatless Monday! Shrimp is great to make during the week since it cooks in under 8 minutes tops. This salad came out soo good! I can’t wait to make it again! I love making salads with roasted sweet potatoes. The texture and sweetness is amazing! For this salad, I used iceberg lettuce, sauteed kale, red kidney beans, corn, roasted sweet potatoes and shrimp with blackened seasoning.
Iceberg lettuce has the least amount of health benefits compared to other greens, such as romaine lettuce, kale or spinach. However, I have been in the mood for it lately and my kids love it. It has a nice crunch and still a pretty color. Works well with my rainbow salads. A bit of each color!
What to Add
For this salad, I decided to go for shrimp. Easy to make during the week when your in a rush. The beans I had on hand and worked perfect. I did not roast these. I gave them a rinse and dried them. To enhance the flavor of the salad, I roasted the sweet potatoes for some sweetness. The corn was also sweet with a different texture from the sweet potatoes. The kale was still a bit crunchy, even after wilted but still soft and then the iceberg lettuce game the salad all the crunch!
As I mentioned in my last post, add variety and different textures to make your salad fun and extra tasty!
Here are some examples:
- greens – dark and light
- raw vegetables
- roasted vegetables
- fresh fruit
- seafood- shrimp, salmon, tilapia
- crushed tortillas or strips
- parmesan crisps
Blackened Shrimp Salad With Red Kidney BeansCourse: SaladsCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: easy
Easy and delicious blackened shrimp salad, perfect for meatless Monday!
1/2 lb of shrimp, deveined and patted dry
1/2 tbsp of blackening seasoning or until shrimp is fully coated
1 large sweet potato or 2 small ones, peeled and cubed
15 oz can of red kidney beans, rinsed and dried
6 oz of frozen corn or 2 ears of corn (off the cob)
5 oz of kale
2 cups of iceberg lettuce
olive oil and/or cooking spray
- Turn oven on to HI BROIL. Take a sheet pan and add sweet potatoes. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle olive oil. Toss sweet potatoes to coat evenly with oil. BROIL for 10 minutes. Toss and BROIL for another 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Season shrimp with blackened seasoning. Take a pan and turn burner onto MED HI. Spray the pan with cooking spray or drizzle with olive oil (about a tbsp). Cook shrimp about 3-4 minutes per side. Set aside.
- Using the same pan you used for the shrimp, spray more cooking spray or a tbsp of olive oil. Add corn, season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 6-7 minutes or until the corn turns bright yellow. Set aside.
- Again, using the same pan, spray more cooking spray or 2 tbsp of olive oil. Add kale, season with salt and pepper. Cook and stir occasionally to evenly cook for about 5-6 minutes. Set aside.
- Time to assemble salad! Grab 2 plates and split the iceberg salad on to both. Evenly distribute the shrimp, kale, corn, beans (you may have a little extra left over) and sweet potatoes. Add a pinch of salt to the iceberg lettuce and squeeze fresh lime all over salad.
- Serve and enjoy!