Blackened Chicken Salad with Feta Cheese. Doesn’t that sound mouth watering? I’ve been trying different seasonings, lately. Whether I mix the seasonings myself or buy in store. Chicken can get pretty boring if you make it the same way every time. Which is why I enjoy shopping and making new seasoning combinations. The best part is, you can honestly find so many different seasonings in store. Lately, I have been obsessed with blackened seasoning and tequila lime seasoning. They look like they were made in Whole Foods, per the packaging. But I am sure they also sell them in the seasoning aisle, as well.
Variety of Foods
It is easy to get tired of eating the same thing for dinner. We can easily get in the same routine and eat the same foods. Especially when it comes to making salads. We typically think of salads made with greens, onions and tomatoes with the occasional cheese. There is nothing wrong with greens and chicken. I love chicken kabob salads! But variety is a must or you will get tired of the same greens. Think of a colorful salad, crunchy textures, sweet and salty and then there are seasonings! It’s all in the seasonings for the meat and seafoods.
Seasonings to Try
- blackened seasonings
- chili lime
- tequila lime
- Top 3 Seasoning/Marinades to Try (Thanksgiving Turkey)
- Italian rub
- lemon pepper
- dry rubs or sauces!
What to Add to Salads
Salads go very well with cooked and raw vegetables. It gives it more texture and flavors!
- greens – dark and light
- raw vegetables
- roasted vegetables
- fresh fruit
- seafood- shrimp, salmon, tilapia
- crushed tortillas or strips
- parmesan crisps
How Much to Add
To make a salad filling with lots of variety and textures, I like to add between 5-8 different ingredients. For this blackened chicken salad with feta cheese I added 8 ingredients. I cooked the chicken, roasted the chickpeas and sauteed the spinach. The rest of the ingredients were raw or did not need cooking. You want to make sure you have protein to get full, even if your not adding meats. Substitute meat for fish, beans or tofu.
Blackened Chicken Salad With Feta CheeseCourse: Lunch/DinnerCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
1 lb of chicken breast, cut into small cubes
1 tbsp of blackening seasoning (I eyeballed the seasoning, enough to coat chicken)
3 oz of spinach
15 oz can of chickpeas
2 oz of black olives, sliced
2 tbsp of feta cheese, crumbled
2 cups of red cabbage, shredded
3-4 oz of baby green leaf lettuce
1 cup of cherry tomatoes, halved
1 lime, halved
- Turn burner onto MED HI. Using a non-stick pan, drizzle about a tbsp of olive oil (or use cooking spray). Add spinach and season with salt and pepper. Cook until wilted. About 3-4 min. Set aside.
- Generously season chicken breast with blackened seasoning. Using the same pan from the spinach. Add 1 tbsp of olive oil. Add the chicken and cook for about 8 minutes, covered. Sometimes I add a little water if it starts to dry out. Uncover, turn the chicken and cook for another 8 minutes, turning the heat up HI for the last 3 minutes. This gives the chicken a nice color. Set aside.
- Turn oven on HI BROIL. Rinse and dry chickpeas. Lay them on a sheet pan. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle some olive oil. Make sure to toss the chickpeas to coat evenly with the olive oil. BROIL for 7 minutes and set aside.
- Time to put the salad together. Use 2 large plates. Evenly distribute the lettuce, cabbage, chickpeas, olives, feta cheese, tomatoes, spinach and chicken on to both plates. Drizzle with olive oil and squeeze lime on both plates. Add a pinch of salt onto the tomatoes, lettuce and cabbage.
- Serve and enjoy!
More Salad Recipes
- 3 Ingredient Kale Bean Salad (Easy)
- Chili Honey Tilapia Salad & Dressing
- Healthy Vegetable Medley Salad With Salmon Patties
- Shrimp and Watermelon Kale Salad
- Chili Lime Shrimp, Avocado and Watermelon Salad
- 3 Ingredient Raspberry Sauce Topping
- Eggplant Pizza (A Lighter Bite!)
- Summer Toddler Schedule (Keep A Routine)
- Homemade Ice Cream (Just 2 Ingredients)
- Open Faced BBQ Chicken Sandwich On Baguette