Blog #68: At the end of the week you don’t have any idea what to make for lunch. You have to go food shopping again. Don’t you wish food would just appear in your fridge? I don’t like food shopping but it is a necessity. I make use of everything I have in my pantry and fridge just to avoid shopping more than twice a week.
When I read the word pantry items I also think of essentials I keep in the fridge, such as mayonnaise. It’s a condiment that lasts longer and is a staple to have for sandwiches and salads.
For this recipe I am going to guess most people have these ingredients at home.
- Peas- canned or frozen
- Cheddar cheese
- Boiled Egg
Easy Pantry Meal – Pea SaladCourse: sidesCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
2 cups of sweet peas, frozen or canned
2 hard boiled eggs, chopped
1 tbsp of onion, chopped small
1/4 cup of cheddar, shredded
1 1/2 tbsp of mayonnaise
Splash of vinegar
- Boil your eggs for about 11 minutes. If your peas are frozen add them to your pan with eggs for a few minutes to cook. No more than 2 minutes.
- Let peas and eggs cool for a few minutes before preparing the salad. Warm is okay but not pipping hot or else you will melt the cheese!
- If your peas are canned, drain and rinse
- Mix the peas, eggs, onion, cheddar cheese and mayonnaise
- Add a splash of vinegar and season with salt and pepper
- Serve at room temperature or cold!
- *The boiled water will kill the germs from the egg shells, if you decide to cook your peas in the same pot.
Pea Salad has been around for ages and is very easy to make. It goes with different meals. This is a very inexpensive meal to make and very filling. You get your protein and vegetables all in one dish! Perfect as a side for a Memorial Day BBQ! Goes well with:
- On Its Own
- Cold Sandwiches
Easy and delicious!