Gouda Pesto Burgers
Blog #123:Now that school is back in session and the Fall is upon us, I crave comfy meals, which of course aren’t always the healthiest. Instead of salads I enjoy more grains and roasted vegetables. Warm foods to keep me toasty! My boys wanted me to make cheeseburgers this weekend. I however, wanted to try something MORE than just a cheeseburger. What about gouda pesto burgers?! Normally, I don’t have gouda cheese on hand but I purchased some to make some mac and cheese this week. One of kiddo’s favorite! I have also been caramelizing onions for breakfast a lot and so why not put it on a burger. Something a bit different. Pesto instead of ketchup and mustard or mayo, as I like to add. Gouda cheese, pesto and caramelized onions. Doesn’t it sound amazing?
All About the Toppings
One of favorite burgers is The Hot Mess Burger. If you subscribe to Rachael Ray’s Magazine, you know she publishes a new cheeseburger every month. They are quite delicious! I found this recipe a few years ago and make it once in a while. Since discovering this yummy burger I try to fancy my burgers with new toppings when I am in the mood for something different.
The best part of this recipe is that the only change is in the toppings. Feel free to cook your burger to your liking. This is all about the toppings but it makes such a difference in taste!
I made 4 burgers and served some fries on the side. Omit what you don’t like and add what you love!
You will need:
- Brioche Buns
- Ground beef (I like to use 85% -90% lean)
- Gouda Cheese
- Cucumbers (a good reason to use all those cucumbers)
- Fresh spinach leaves
- Gouda cheese
- 1 cup of onions
Gouda Pesto BurgersCourse: Lunch/DinnerCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
4 Brioche buns
3 oz of gouda cheese, sliced (depending on thickness of slice)
A large handful of fresh spinach leaves
4 tbsp of pesto (plus more for extra dipping)
12 thinly slices of cucumber (3 on each burger)
- Burger Ingredients
1 lb of ground beef
1 tbsp of vinegar for burgers
- Caramelized Onion Ingredients
1 cup of onions, sliced
3-4 tbsp of vinegar
1-2 tbsp of oil
- In a large bowl add your ground beef and season with some salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano powder and vinegar. Mix meat well to incorporate the seasoning and form into 4 patties.* Heat up a griddle or pan and put on MED LOW. Cook to your liking and add cheese a few minutes before your burger is done cooking. I like my burgers well done. Therefore, they cook longer.
- While burgers are cooking, caramelize your onions. In a hot frying pan, set to MED LOW add 1-2 tbsp of oil, add the onions and cook for about 3-4 minutes until they start to brown a bit. Lower the heat and add the vinegar.* Cook for another 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Toast your buns in the oven for about 1 minute on HI BROIL. Make sure to watch this as the buns will burn quickly!
- Last step! Spread pesto on the bottom bun, spinach, cheeseburger, add 3 cucumbers and top with caramelized onions. Serve with extra pesto on the side. Enjoy with a side of fries or salad!
- Spread patties by making them a bit on the flatter side. They cook faster and shrink up anyway after cooking.
- Caramelizing onions does stink a bit but I promise they are delicious!
Are you a fan of burgers? I have to have cheese on my burgers! What is your favorite way to have burgers? I’d love to try it!