What to Do and Make with Leftovers Part II
Blog #115: I decided to make a part II on What to Do and Make with Leftovers. There are so many ways to incorporate your leftovers instead of tossing them in the trash! Of course, if you are not planning on using them right away then make sure to freeze them! Don’t you love going to restaurants where there is a salad bar with a ton of roasted vegetables to add to your salad? I love that! I have thought of doing that on many occasions. Preparing a bunch of vegetables to add to my salads. Using my leftovers gives me the same results without having to make extras for salads!
Even with fruit you can always make something! For dinner tonight I made a pineapple and banana smoothie. I was saving the bananas to make my healthy chocolate chips but decided on making a smoothie as my pineapples were overly ripe. It was delicious! Overly ripe fruits can be used to make for example, pineapple salmon, chicken or pineapple rice. Used ripened bananas to make smoothies, banana bread or muffins. Make an apple pie or peach pie. Blueberries going bad? Make blueberry yogurt drops! Or Mash the ripened fruit and make a yogurt parfait, crush the fruit or make a sauce add to your ice cream sundae!
Most of my leftovers are used for breakfast or dinner. My favorite is to use leftover sweet potatoes with scrambled eggs! In the picture below, I made scrambled eggs with cheese and mushrooms, with a side of leftover sweet potatoes and avocado. I love mushrooms but it’s just okay to everyone else in my home. When I forget about my mushrooms and they have a day or 2 left of freshness I saute them and add them to my eggs over the next couple of days or I add them to a steak or chicken meal.
Some more ideas:
- fried egg with leftover roasted squash and broccoli, sprinkle of parmesan cheese, green onions and a splash of lime. By now you know I love limes and lemons on my food!
- Instead of steak and eggs, have leftover chicken with a fried egg and vegetable (see below)
- scrambled eggs on lettuce with a drizzle of sriracha sauce.
- Use leftover asparagus, kale and chickpeas. Saute and mix in chicken. Serve as is, with hot sauce, side of rice or greens.
- Make a stir fry with leftover vegetables and add fresh ones – serve with some greens!
- Make a vegetable burrito bowl (see picture below)
— This vegetable bowl is so refreshing! I used:
- leftovers black beans
- leftover sweet potatoes
- cheddar cheese
- cherry tomatoes
- olive oil
Refreshing and filling with all the protein without the meat!
What are you favorite leftover concoctions?