Blog #129: Here is another post on cucumbers and salads! In my last post I made Cucumber Pumpkin Spice Bread. I had quite a few cucumbers in my fridge and needed to make use of them. But I do admit, a few cucumbers did not make it. A few froze in the back of the fridge and were unsalvageable. Today I made a Cucumber, Tomato and Avocado Salad. Another super easy, refreshing salad! You’ve got the crunch from the onion and cucumber, juiciness from the tomatoes and healthy fats from the avocado. The avocado is also nice and creamy! There are so many health benefits to eating avocado.
With one cucumber, I was able to make two salads which I topped off with grilled chicken. It was a light dinner. I could have doubled the recipe but I was not all that hungry for a larger salad and I did not want leftovers. As this would not taste good as a leftover – as most salads do not after you add the dressing.
How to Make?
To prepare this cucumber salad was beyond simple.
You will need:
- red onion
- cherry tomatoes
- dried oregano
- olive oil
The dressing was very simple to make. It consists of olive oil, salt, pepper, oregano and lemon. If you do not have lemon you may use a lime or 1-2 tbsp of vinegar.
The salad took me no longer than 20 minutes to wash, dry, cut and put together. If you are in a pinch you can make the salad ahead and add the avocado and dressing right before serving.
How to Serve
The salad alone is not very filling. I suggest serving it with grilled chicken, steak or fish. Another option is to serve it as a side salad.
Let me know what you think!
Cucumber, Tomato and Avocado SaladCourse: Lunch/Dinner, AppetizersCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
A light salad that goes well with grilled chicken, steak or fish. It can also be served as a side salad. An easy appetizer!
1 large cucumber, sliced into small chunks
1 cup of cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 red onion, sliced
2 avocados, cubed
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/4 tsp dried oregano
2 tbsp Olive oil
- In a large bowl, mix the cucumbers, tomatoes and red onion. Add the lemon, oregano and olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper. Give it a nice toss and add the avocado. Mix in slow as the avocado can get mashed!
- Serve as a side salad or with grilled chicken!
- Serves 2
What Else Can You Make with Cucumbers?
There are many things you can make with cucumbers.
- My favorite 3 Ingredient Cucumber Salad
- Add cucumbers to a Fall Farro Salad
- Add it to your burger – Gouda Burger
- Infuse water with cucumbers! Super refreshing. Wash and slice one or 2 cucumbers add to a pitcher of water and let it infuse for at least 4 hours in the fridge and serve. Try it also with sparkling water!