What is Thanksgiving without dessert? Here is an easy pumpkin poke cake recipe that I love! I have been making it for a few years now during the fall. There are a bunch of fall birthdays I bake this cake for and it is always a hit! Make it on a 9×13 pan or split it into 2 8×8 pans. Making 2 smaller cakes are great when making multiple birthday cakes and gifting. My oldest son describes it as a very sweet cake. Yet, he is that child that finds donuts way too sweet for his liking! Now, I first found this recipe online somewhere years ago. Of course, over time, you end up making your own additions and the recipe becomes your own.
Around the holidays, I start making sweets to gift. There’s always get togethers and smaller celebrations leading up to the holidays. Fall activities, birthdays, holidays, work parties, etc. Of course, this year is different because of COVID-19 but I believe it’s even a better excuse to bake and cook for others. Because you won’t be socializing as you normally would. Why not bake an extra cake or pie to drop off at their home. It is a nice reminder how food brings us together during this times, even if we are far apart!
I must say, I have fallen in love with poke cakes over the years. Each bite of cake has a nice sweet sauce that makes the cake extra moist with extra flavor! This pumpkin spice poke cake has the perfect fall flavors and it is beyond easy to make!
Ingredients You will need:
- Box of spice cake mix or yellow cake mix
- If using yellow cake mix, you will need pumpkin spice
- Pumpkin puree (pumpkin pie filling also works)
- Caramel Sauce
- CocoWhip or Cool Whip
- Heath Toffee bits
I have realized that there is only one store that actually carries spice cake mix in my area. Amazon sells it but for $15 dollars a box. No thanks, when an actual box only costs less than $2. What to do when you can’t find spice cake? Use a yellow cake mix and add a 1 tsp of pumpkin spice. There. You now have spice cake!
Now for the whip cream I like using Cocowhip. You don’t have to like coconut to enjoy this, as you cannot taste coconut AT ALL. It has all natural ingredients, which I prefer, since this cake isn’t exactly on the healthy side!
Easy Pumpkin Spice Poke CakeCourse: DessertCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
The perfect fall dessert with pumpkin, caramel and hints of chocolate flavor all in one! The perfect moist cake, every time!
Spice cake mix (15.25 oz) or yellow cake mix
1 tsp of pumpkin spice, if using yellow cake mix ONLY
15 oz of pumpkin puree (pumpkin filling works, as well)
1/4 cup of water
butter (to butter pan)
- Topping Ingredients
12.25 oz of caramel sauce, such as smuckers brand
9 oz cocowhip or coolwhip
1/2 cup of Heath toffee bits
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix spice cake mix, eggs, pumpkin puree and water. If using yellow cake mix, add pumpkin spice, eggs, pumpkin puree and water.
- Butter pan and add cake mix to a 9×13 pan or 2 8×8 pans. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cake cool for at least an hour or so.
- Once cake is cool, make multiple pokes on cake using the end of a spoon or spatula. Then pour the caramel sauce over the holes. Add the cocowhip and sprinkle with toffee bits.
- Put in fridge for at least an hour. Serve cold and keep in fridge, because of the cocowhip.
More Pumpkin Spice Recipes to Try:
Let me know what you think of it! I have already made 2 small poke cakes and they are in my freezer. One dessert ready for Thanksgiving and one less thing for me to bake!