Most people like fried rice. You never make it, but rather have it when you order take out at a Chinese restaurant. Today is a perfect day to make a healthy vegetable fried rice for meatless Monday! It’s all about the vegetables in this dish. Farro with Roasted Vegetables (Meatless Monday) is another great dish to make for a meatless meal. Farro is very filling and healthy!
What Vegetables to Add to Fried Rice
You can truly add whatever you’ve got. The trick to making fried rice, is to use leftover rice. You want cold rice rather than freshly made rice. Using fresh rice will give you mushy rice instead of that fried texture. Leftovers are my friend! If you don’t already know, I love making new meals out of leftovers, instead of letting it go to waste.
Vegetables I Added to My Fried Rice
- Broccoli, leftover roasted
- Corn, leftover
* I also had about 1/4 cup of leftover chicken and decided to add it as well.
A Leftover Dish
As you can see, I have used leftover vegetables and rice to make this dish. Some add ins, were the onion and carrots. Whatever you have on hand toss it together to make a nice vegetable fried rice! I know I added some chicken to mine, but not every bite had chicken, There was just a bit and so instead of letting it go to waste I added it to my dish!
For the flavors I used my favorite Asian dressing, I use to make many dishes throughout the week! You can find the recipe HERE. It is a very simple recipe. If you don’t have amino acids, you can use low sodium soy sauce. You can also interchange honey and brown sugar, if you don’t have either on hand. I have also substituted orange juice. Works just as great. You want to balance the sweetness and saltiness with the amino acids.
More Leftover Meal Ideas
- 1. What to Make and Do With Leftovers
- 2. What to Do and Make with Leftovers Part II
- 3. What to Make with Thanksgiving Leftovers
Healthy Vegetable Fried RiceCourse: SidesCuisine: ChineseDifficulty: Easy
2 cups of leftover rice, cold
3 carrots, cut as ribbons (use a vegetable peeler)
1 small onion, cut into slices
1 cup of broccoli, I used leftovers
1/4 cup of corn, I used leftovers
2 eggs, scrambled
1 cup of chicken (optional)
6 tbsp of olive oil
sriracha sauce, for serving
- In a frying pan, add 2 tbsp of oil, on MED HIGH. Scramble the eggs. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add 2 more tbsp of olive oil to the pan. Add the carrot ribbons and onions. Sauté for a few minutes until onion starts to look translucent. Add the broccoli, corn and chicken (optional). Cook a few minutes until heated through.
- Next add the rice and start breaking it up with a spoon. Mix it in with the vegetables. Once rice starts to soften, add the sauce and scrambled eggs.
- Garnish with cilantro and drizzle of sriracha sauce.
- This meal serves 2 as a main meal or 4 servings, as a side
- Feel free to add mushrooms, celery, asparagus, etc. Any vegetable will go well – minus potatoes and squash