Appetizer Cajun Shrimp Potato Skins
Potato skins are pretty popular as appetizers at restaurants. Yet, I have never had one at a restaurant. For some reason they don’t look as good as making them homemade. My husband and I challenged ourselves to just eating seafood for 2 weeks. Meaning no meat of any kind. I make my potato skins with bacon, therefore, I decided to make appetizer cajun shrimp potato skins since bacon was not an option this time.
When making potato skins, I don’t add salt since the bacon and cheddar cheese are already super salty. However, for this recipe, I did add salt, since I omitted the bacon and cheddar cheese. These potato skins came out amazing! The cajun shrimp was a nice touch of spice and less greasy than your traditional potato skins. The only cheese I added was parmesan cheese.
What You Need:
- russet potatoes (the best to use, thick skin and large potatoes!)
- cajun seasoning
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- olive oil
- parmesan cheese
The potato skins take 14 minutes total – 7 minutes per side and the shrimp cooks in about 7-8 minutes. I made the shrimp first but you can always start the potatoes first. While the potatoes are in the oven you can cook the shrimp to cut down on time. If serving for a party or get together, make the shrimp ahead of time and double the recipe.
How To Serve
These cajun shrimp potato skins make great appetizers. But I do love serving them as a meal. If serving as a meal, serve as is or with a side salad. Potatoes are very filling and sometimes I just have them without a side salad. For extra flavors, I like dipping them in sour cream or my Avocado Dressing With Cilantro And Lime. This is a very filling meal!
Cajun Shrimp Potato SkinsCourse: AppetizersCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
Serve these potato skins as an appetizer or as a meal with a side salad. Delicious anyway you serve them!
1 lb of shrimp, deveined
1 tbsp of cajun seasoning
- POTATO SKIN INGREDIENTS
4 russet potatoes, cut lengthwise and pulp removed
1/4 tsp of garlic powder
1/4 tsp of onion powder
1/8 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp paprika powder
1/2 tsp of salt
1/4 cup of parmesan cheese, shredded + more for serving
2 tbsp of olive oil
2 scallions, for serving
- Turn oven on HI BROIL. Season shrimp with cajun seasoning. Use a large frying/non-stick pan. Spray cooking oil and turn burner on MED HI. Once pan is hot, add the shrimp. Cook 3-4 minutes per side and set aside.
- Mix the garlic and onion powder, salt, pepper, paprika, olive oil and parmesan cheese in a small bowl. Brush the inside and outside of the potatoes with the oil mixture.
- Take a sheet pan and place the potatoes face down. Broil for 7 minutes and flip. Broil for another 7 minutes. Remove from oven. Place 3-4 shrimps on each potato. Sprinkle some cheese (optional) and sliced scallions.
- Serve with sour cream or avocado dressing.
- Serve with sour cream or avocado dressing for dipping or a side salad, if served as a main meal