4 Ingredient Kale Winter Salad (Easy & Healthy!)
Here is another yummy winter salad that is colorful and super filling. It is also meatless! Perfect for Meatless Mondays! It is a 4 Ingredient Kale Winter Salad with Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Roasted Chickpeas and Wild Rice. A fresh COLD salad ONLY screams spring or summer to me. During the winter I crave WARM and COZY foods. The same goes for salads in the winter. To make this salad hearty, I sautéed the kale. I then roasted the chick peas and sweet potatoes. The fourth ingredient is wild rice, which I had as a leftover. All I had to do was heat it up. I served it with a vinaigrette dressing, made up of olive oil, lemon and salt. And guess what? It only took me 20 minutes to make this DELICIOUS WINTER SALAD.
I have been trying to eat less meat. A personal goal, for this year. When eating red meats, most of the time, I get a heavy feeling in my stomach, compared to when I eat fish and vegetables. Eating less meat is also beneficial for our bodies. Studies have shown, people can bring down high blood pressure by eating less meat!
I would like to be more environmentally friendly and spend LESS on groceries! This drives me crazy, as I am constantly trying to figure out how to curve my grocery list. Organic foods are already more expensive and I have a house full of boys and a husband. A husband who is into fitness and kiddos that already have a huge appetite! And I love to eat myself. We all have a fast metabolism. 3 meals a days and snacks to keep us going!
The total cost of this meal was about $11.00! Wow, what a deal! Way cheaper than going to grab a salad at my local salad restaurant. I made 2 salads for the price of one!
- sweet potatoes
- wild rice
- chick peas
- olive oil
- onion powder
Kale Winter Salad
You don’t need much to make this Kale Winter Salad. I made enough to serve 2 but you can double the recipe for 4 servings. Instead of wild rice you can substitute for farro. It was very good and I have it on my list to make again this week!
Here are Some Other Meatless Ideas:
- Healthy Vegetable Fried Rice (Meatless Monday)
- Farro with Roasted Vegetables (Meatless Monday)
- Fall Farro Salad
- Pomegranate Winter Salad (Perfect for the Holidays)
- Easy Chickpea Tuna Salad
4 Ingredient Kale Winter SaladCourse: SaladsCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
An easy, meatless winter salad with just 4 ingredients! Kale, sweet potatoes, wild rice and chickpeas. Delicious and on a budget!
1 cup of cooked wild rice (I used leftover rice, heated up)
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
15 oz can of chick peas, rinsed and drained
5 oz of kale, roughly chopped
5-6 tbsp of olive oil for cooking + more for salad dressing
1/4 tsp of onion powder
- Turn oven on HI BROIL. On a sheet pan, add your chickpeas. Spread out and season with salt, pepper and onion powder. Drizzle 1 tbsp of olive oil on the chick peas. Roast for 7 minutes. Set aside.
- Using the same sheet pan, add the sweet potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with 2 tbsps of olive oil and roast for 10 minutes. Flip sweet potatoes and roast for another 5 minutes.
- While sweet potatoes are in the oven, take a non-stick pan and sauté the kale. Add 2-3 tbsp of olive oil then add the kale and season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 10 minutes or until tender. Stir frequently for even cooking.
- Time to assemble! Split kale into 2 bowls, split the chick peas, sweet potatoes and cooked rice into both bowls. Drizzle olive oil in each bowl, along with a squeeze of lemon and season with salt.