What is Self Care?
Blog #94: What is Self Care? How to start? Self care is all about you! Putting yourself first and making sure you are taking care of yourself physically, mentally and emotionally. By doing so you improve your mood and reduce anxiety.
The pandemic has made life a lot harder for all of us. Parents working from home and playing teacher, juggling housework and the kids all at the same time! No space to breath and have a moment to yourself! It is very much overwhelming and stressful! Talk about anxiety.
Routine to Self Care
Believe it or not, just one small deed to yourself can improve your mood and make you happy and relaxed. Whether its 10 minutes a day or an hour. Try to dedicate some time everyday just for you.
Here are 10 self care tips to get you started!
- Close your eyes and take deep breaths throughout the day. Especially when your extra stressed and overwhelmed.
- Take a break and stretch.
- Meditation is hard but even just trying to clear your mind and sit in silence is relaxing. 5 minutes is all you need!
- Really be present in everything you do. Focus on one thing at a time.
#2 Work Out
I will say I am not always consistent but I feel so good when I work out.
- Take 5-10 minutes and focus on one area at a time. Whether it be your abs or legs.
- Go for a walk. The fresh air helps the mind and soul! Enjoy the sound of the birds and nature.
- Yoga is another workout that helps focus and relax your mind.
You may have hated reading as a kid but boy there is nothing like diving into a good book! You’ve entered another world. You could forget about everything you have to do for that moment! I have found the time at night when my little one is asleep and I cannot sleep! Instead of browsing on my phone I read an e-book or an e-magazine. So many free choices on the libby app.
Organize your life by keeping a planner or journal with everything you have to do and your appointments.
#5 Finish a Project
Finish a project you’ve started. The end results are amazing! Check that off your list and on to the next project!
- Re-decorate your living room or bedroom
- Organize your closet
- Finish that Netflix show you’ve been meaning to watch!
What are your hobbies?
- Arts and crafts
- Crossword puzzles
- Catch up on shows or watch an old movie
#7 Pamper Yourself
- Get your hair done
- Mani and Pedi
- Revamp your closet and style. In with the new and out with the old.
- Massage (these times you may not be able to go see a professional but theres always your significant other or yourself!)
Being home during quarantine has given us the freedom to roll out of bed at the last minute since we don’t have to travel to start our day. But getting 6-8 hours of sleep is super important to recharge and start your day energized. I know my days are super exhausting and I can’t focus when I don’t get enough sleep.
Start your day with a smoothie and a good breakfast. You need energy to start your day!
Here some quick breakfast ideas to start your morning:
#10 Take a Break
Your entitled to take a break. Break away from screen time. As I mentioned above, stretch, get up and take a walk around your neighborhood. Grab a snack. Breath and enjoy your surroundings in silence. Meaning no phone!
The Importance of Self Care
Quarantine life has taught us many things about ourselves. We have learned to be patient, more loving, and learning to respect more boundaries! Seeing family and friends from a distance, wearing a mask when out and letting them know you are there for them from a distance. However, you can only help others when you take care of yourself first. Mental and emotional health is very important during Covid-19. Being in quarantine has shut down our lives for the time being. Not being on a schedule is hard for people who need routine in life. And honestly, that means most of us. Please take care and practice some self care!