Blog#120: What is your favorite meal for breakfast? Breakfast sandwiches seem to be a popular choice. I wonder if it’s because it’s an easy grab and go in such a busy era, we live in. This grilled cheese with egg and arugula will make your day. It’s easy and satisfying without the greasy breakfast sandwich you get at restaurants.
Breakfast at Home VS at a Restaurant
Breakfast isn’t my favorite meal of the day and the breakfast foods I enjoy are not found in restaurants. For example, traditionally growing up my mom would make my sisters and I sardines with plantains and sautéed onions. One of my favorite breakfasts! It’s so filling and delicious. These days I love making eggs and sautéed vegetables with a side of bacon and avocado. A nice sprinkle of parmesan and splash of lemon or lime makes it complete!
However, when I do have breakfast out, I pretty much order the same thing EVERY TIME. If there is quiche, I order quiche, without a question. I wash it down with some fruit. Yum. If not, I order a vegetable omelet with cheese and hash browns. I love vegetable omelettes WITH cheese. Scrambled or omelette style eggs have to have cheese in my book.
I admit I prefer to make breakfast sandwiches at home. Less grease and healthier than the extra tons of bacon fat dripping from the bread at restaurants.
For this recipe, you may already have the ingredients to make this breakfast sandwich. You will need:
- Shredded Mozzarella
- American cheese
- You may use any bread you like. I used Artesian bread but crusty bread would also make this sandwich equally delicious.
- Turmeric is optional. I always add it to my eggs, as it is anti-inflammatory. Add a dash and you can’t even taste it.
- Sometimes I omit the salt in eggs as American cheese is already salty. Depends on my day!
Breakfast Grilled Egg and Cheese SandwichCourse: BreakfastCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
Non greasy breakfast sandwich!
8 slices of bread, Artesian or crusty bread preferred
1 – 1 1/2 cups of arugula
4 American cheese slices
4 oz of mozzarella cheese, shredded
- I used a skillet and there was no need to add butter to the skillet. If using a non-stick pan spread some butter directly in pan instead of slicing butter slices into the pan. Fry each egg to your liking. Add salt, pepper and a pinch of turmeric and set aside.
- Butter the outside slices of each bread slice, add a slice of American cheese on one slice and on the other slice add some shredded mozzarella cheese. Grill until lightly toasted. About 5 minutes. Add the fried egg and arugula and close the bread to make a sandwich.
Other Breakfast Ideas:
Here are some other breakfast meals you may enjoy:
- Delicious Breakfast Sandwich
- Scrambled Eggs on Lettuce
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Granola
- Breakfast Sausage and Egg Tortilla
- Hash browns
I served this breakfast sandwich with a strawberry banana smoothie.
What is your favorite breakfast? I’d love to try something new!